Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day from Think Big Partners!

What's your favorite St. Patty's Day memory?

Saint Patrick's Day may be one of the craziest of holidays.  Green beer, Irish pubs open at 7:00AM, and a multitude of St. Patty's Day parades across the nation set this holiday up to be one fun day of celebration.

Below are some of our most favorite memories of the green holiday- not only from us, but from some of our colleagues as well!  And what can we say...Kansas City knows how to celebrate!


"In 2009, my husband Mike and I traveled to St. Louis to visit friends and cheer them on during the 31st Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade Run.  One of the largest events of its kind in the St. Louis area, with more than 12,000 participants, the 5-mile run travels the streets of downtown and midtown St. Louis."
- Shannon Yarbrough, Partner at Think Big Partners, Kansas City MO

"Jared Palmer and Alex Porter entertained the crowds at Raglan Road on St. Patrick's Day last year with their unique style of River dancing.  We were so impressed with this duo that we decided that they were the deserving winners of a "TRIP TO IRELAND".
- Aileen Ferguson, Manager at Raglan Road, Kansas City MO

“I think my worst memory is more worthy than my favorite! I was about 12 years old and was visiting my grandparents with my family in their winter home in Phoenix, AZ. My grandparents our part of a community down there filled with other retirees. My sister, brother, and I were excited to get ready for the community St. Patty’s Day parade. We painted our nails, got green, put on necklaces, painted our faces, wore goofy socks, and the whole sha-bang – we were ready! We lined up with everyone else (which was about 30 people) to start walking. There were no floats, no band, no dancers, and NO leprechauns! J What a rip-off. Instead, it was a show-off of the cutest grandkids – and we were the only ones! Being the stars of the show, the most common sound I heard was “Awwwww” and I was past “aw” at 12. It was embarrassing and even worse, no fun at all. Afterwards, we sang karaoke with the old people with more “aws.” I was done. At least the seniors got some fun out of it!”
- Sarah Snyder, Director of Event Planning at Think Big Partners, Kansas City MO

"My favorite memory of St. Patrick's Day didn't actually happen on the holiday.  Instead, I celebrated Fake Patty's Day at K-State.  In 2007, the Aggieville Bar District owners came to the student-run radio station (where I worked) and said they wanted to capitalize on the St. Patty's market.  Since college kids were always on break for the holiday, they wanted to have a 'fake' holiday a weekend early.  They united to open the bars at 8am that first year and it has been a hit ever since."
- Martin Wilson, K-State Graduate, KU Law School Student, Overland Park KS

"I've never celebrated St. Patty's Day in Kansas City, but I have in Ohio.  Here is my favorite Saint Patrick's Day memory.  One of my best friends was born on St. Patty's Day, so she got this giant hat and wore it around all day!  It was a blast to spend the day with friends."
- Allison Way, Writer at Think Big Partners, Kansas City MO

What's your favorite Saint Patrick's Day memory? How are you celebrating this year?  Comment below, let us know!

From all of us at Think Big Partners and the Kansas City community, Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  Thanks for "going green"!

Written by Allison Way.  Allison is a writer for Think Big Partners, Kansas City's early-stage business incubator and startup accelerator.  To read more of Allison's work, check out the Kansas City Entrepreneurship Examiner as well as her articles on Helium, eZine, and BrooWaha.  Follow Allison!  @AllisonThinkBig 

No comments:

Post a Comment