- Speakers, mentors and entrepreneurs converge in a shared space
- The entrepreneurs pitch their ideas
- The best ideas organically arise via popular consensus
- Teams are formed around the ideas
- The next two days are a mad frenzy to create the next big thing!
According the Startup Weekend site, the 11 teams created this year were:
- Gitalytics: Github Analytics
- Pluginy: Specializes in dynamic content optimization and helping non-technical and IT professionals make changes to website content as efficiently as possible.
- Antler Atlas: The first website that allows hunters to upload pictures of their big game trophies and tag them geographically, without giving up the location of their honey-hole!
- Aqualife: Pairs your water bottle to your iPhone to ensure you don't get dehydrated.
- Shopily: Simplifies the retail experience for consumers and provides rich insight into behavior for marketers.
- LittleHootz: The digital scrapbooking app that makes it easy to create, archive and share all the unexpected and hilarious things your kids do and say.
- Mingle: A digital networking application that makes making the connections you need fast, easy and efficient.
- Open Gardens: Open Gardens connects growers and communities to nurture collaboration and promote sustainable living.
- All Dogs: Dog breed matching web and mobile app.
- Code Your Own: Website to build your own customized code learning experience.
- Vidspective: The First-Person Video Marketplace.
Of the 11 teams that participated, the overall winner was LittleHootz. The idea, created and pitched by team leader Lacey Ellis, struck a chord in its potential uses for parents, teachers and other scrapbooking enthusiasts.
Second place went to Aqualife (whose website was down at the time of writing), an app that monitors how much water you’re drinking by syncing with your water bottle. Third place went to Vidspective, an application which will monetize behind-the-scene access.
Code Your Own was awarded crowd favorite, it also striking a chord with its ability to empower novice and professional coders alike by providing a clean, easy-to-use platform that only utilizes what you need.
We celebrate the speed, drive and passion of these entrepreneurs. They are adding to the growing startup economy, and we look forward to seeing what they will do with their newfound notoriety.