Google. Tumblr. Twitter. Zaarly. They’re all successful companies, but where in the heck did their names come from? When determining the name of your startup, there are a lot of things to keep in mind. Do you want one of these “whacky” names that mean virtually nothing, or do you want to keep it simple like AutoZone, Burger King or Stanley Steamer? There are multiple ways to go about naming your business, but before you do, be sure to ask yourself these 9 questions:
- What is your brand positioning?
- Is the name too limiting (or too broad)?
- Does the name make sense?
- Is the name easy to remember?
- Can people spell the name easily?
- Does the name sound good?
- Does the name reach your target audience?
- Does the name look good on paper?
- Is the name already trademarked?
So listen up, tune in and Think Big! In this episode of Think Big Radio, Derek and Allison discuss the top 9 questions to ask yourself when naming your business. Keep all of these questions in mind before you jot anything down on your formal business plan.
Follow Allison at @AllisonThinkBig & Derek at @DerekCOlsen.