in·no·va·tion noun \ˌi-nə-ˈv-shən\1: the introduction of something new 2: a new idea, method, or device : novelty.
Sparking fresh innovation is crucial for progress and growth in a community. Innovative companies, people and ideas are necessary for igniting this spark.
The spark is igniting throughout the country. We have developed the top 6 most innovative cities in the U.S. Take a look. Is your city on the list?
1. San Jose, CA. Home to top companies such as Google and Apple, San Jose is a prime hub for tech giants. This California city screams innovation and has been ranked as the number one city for technology and creative jobs in the US.
2. Austin, TX. Everything is bigger in Texas! Austin is the center for gigantic technology advancement and creation. Dell, Apple and IBM all hold major offices in this city. Not to mention, Austin is also known as the “live music capital of the world.” If you are looking to work in the fields of either science or technology, Austin’s your place.
3. Portland, OR. Taking the green initiative, this city is pushing to create a bridge between successful businesses and being environmentally aware. Not only is Portland known for its sustainability practices, it also has been labeled as the “Silicon Forest” because of the mass amounts of tech jobs.
4. Kansas City, MO. This mid-sized Midwestern city has been making a big name for itself in the past couple of years. In addition to the implementation of Google Fiber, numerous technology companies are emerging (think Zaarly!). Think Big Partners is creating a collaborative network and workspace for budding entrepreneurs to help them accelerate new business ideas in Kansas City through its entrepreneurial network and coworking space, bizperc.
5. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN. Having an abundant source of venture capital investment, green technology and a multitude of tech and science jobs makes the Twin Cities a great match to be labeled as an innovative city. This is a great city for entrepreneurs to begin their startup.
6. Chicago, IL. Having its very own Department of Innovation and Technology, Chicago strives to be ahead of the rest. Known for its diverse neighborhoods and robust atmosphere, Chicago continuously is a powerhouse and an economically strong city. Entrepreneurs of all kinds collaborate and create in the Windy City.
These cities are awarded with the title as the most innovative because of the overwhelming presence of technology and entrepreneurship collaboration. How does your city match up?
Written by Genevieve Alander.