Yesterday’s Innovation Conference hosted by the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce was full of ideation and collaboration. The speakers gave their professional insight into entrepreneurship and innovation here in the Midwest and beyond. A lot was shared, and I tried to absorb it all. It was difficult to choose just ten, but I have put together a list of quotes from the day that really stood out.
1. “Collaboration is the key to our success. It always has been.” -- Jim Heeter, President & CEO of the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
2. “The US economy is the world’s largest hedge fund.” – Dennis Bushnell, Chief Scientist of NASA Langley Research Center
3. “In the current IT age, wealth is created by inventing things.” – Dennis Bushnel
4. “The birthplace for an idea is observation.” – Herb Sih, Managing Partner of Think Big Partners
5. “Most investors will invest quicker in the A team with the B idea, than the B team with the A idea.” – Jeff Pfaff of MTB Mobile
6. “Fail fast, fail cheap.” (from Herb Sih) – Greg Kratofil of Polsinelli Shughart
7. “An angel investor is not a guardian angel. They are doing things for the same reason that you are—to make money.” – Tyler Prochnow of Think Big Partners
8. “When you bring in investors, you bring more discipline into your company. Then you’ll begin to feel more like a company.” – Joel Wiggins of Mid America Angels
9. “You don’t have to be the smartest person in the world to create a business, or an industry for that matter.” – Tom Bloch of H&R Bloch
10. “If you are in business for yourself, forget the bottom line. You are here to help people.” – Henry Bloch of H&R Bloch
Written by Laura Goede.